Tuesday, August 31, 2021

The Trial of Lizzie Borden By: Cara Robertson

This tightly written presentation of the Borden case truly reads like a novel.  I've been fascinated by this case for a good 40 years, and I was riveted by this book and on the edge of my seat...and I know what happens in the end!  That's good writing.  I kept waiting for the "evidence to be presented afresh" as one of the reviews said, but I kept reading thinking, this is not covering any new ground, I've read the history of this case from a soci-sexual, -economic, -politcial and -historic perspectives before.  Then I realized why this wasn't covering new ground for me (and this is why readers should always read the acknowledgments), I'd read the author's original thesis! Two of the people Ms. Robertson thanks in the acknowledgements are the daughter and son-in-law of a dear friend of mine, for whom I house-sat for 30 years. The daughter had a coy of the thesis and left it at the house and I read it while house-sitting. It's a small world!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment