Thursday, October 29, 2020

The Rose Tattoo By: Tennessee Williams

I've always adored Tennessee Williams' work, but in all the years I've been reading his plays (and seeing them), and his poetry I never got around to The Rose Tattoo. I'm so glad this edition includes some extras! I'm so used to the high drama of Williams' more well know works, so it was a joy to read Rose Tattoo with it's melodrama, it's comedy and it's borderline slapstick. An over the top romantic comedy complete with a witch and a renegade goat. This edition also includes the short play that would eventually become the full length Rose Tattoo, an insightful intro by John Patrick Shanley, a critical essay showing the genesis of the short play to the full length play, Tennessee' explanation of the meaning of The Rose Tattoo as well as a chronology of Williams' life and publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment