Sunday, February 23, 2020

Northanger Abbey By: Val McDermid

I picked this one up from the library because I love McDermid's writing.  Color me shocked when it turned out not to be a mystery, but an updated re-telling of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey.  I've not read Austen's so I wasn't sure what to expect.  This was SO fun!  A month in the life of Cat Morland on her first big adventure away from home.  She meets a number of interesting people (one of whom I desperately wanted to punch int he throat every time he showed up on a page);  falls in love; is humiliated; is embarrassed; is infuriated; is enlightened; and does a little growing up.  You know...a typical teenage life all rolled into a month.  McDermid's wit and language serves this story well, and now I have to get Austen's original!


No comments:

Post a Comment