Friday, July 20, 2018

The Girls of Murder City: Fame, Lust, and the Beautiful Killers who inspired "Chicago" By: Douglas Perry


How could I not love a book that combines, history, true crime, and theatre...COME ON!!!!  A brilliantly researched look at Maurine Watkins' work as a crime beat reporter during the 20's in Chicago, covering the spate of murderesses awaiting trial and their trials.  All of this against the back drop of the history of crime on Chicago at the time.  Leading up to Ms. Watkins leaving Chicago and writing the play "Chicago".  In looking at Watkins' work the reader is also treated to other amazing women who were ahead of their time (and no I'm not referring to the women on murder row).  Other female reports are featured as well a particularly brilliant female lawyer.  Having read Ugly Prey (regarding the Sabella Niti case), I was especially interested in this book and I was not disappointed.  I can't rave enough about this book!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment